Some of my thoughts upon hearing what the Prophet teaches

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Charity is the antidote to contention

 

Differences of opinion are part of life. I work daily with people who sometimes see an issue differently. My two noble counselors, Dallin H. Oaks and Henry B. Eyring, have taught me how to disagree in a Christlike way. Over the last five years of working together, we haven’t always agreed. Still, they know I want to hear their honest feelings about everything we discuss—especially sensitive issues.
From their examples, I have learned six ways to disagree:
Express feelings with love.
Don’t think you know best.
Don’t compete.
Don’t rigorously defend your position.
Let the Spirit guide your conversations.
Be filled with charity, the pure love of Christ.
Charity is the antidote to contention. It is the principal characteristic of a true follower of Jesus Christ. Charity defines a peacemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ladders on the wrong wall

That scripture reminds me of a friend who proudly boasted that his climb toward wealth had come from tireless work and lessons learned in th...